When Should You Shell Out the Cash for a Private Lesson?
- no group classes fit into your weird work schedule
- you’re putting together a piece for an upcoming show
- you’re really struggling with a few particular moves
- you need to get your ass whooped (always happy to oblige!)
- you’re creating a professional piece
- you want to define your personal style (especially important in silks – the world does not need another cookie-cutter aerial act)
- you just want me all to yourself – understandable! 😉
Plan Ahead – Fabulousness Takes Thought!
- Warm-up – this is where I trot out moves I’m really comfortable with so Chris can nitpick
- Medium skilz – a couple of medium-hard moves I’m working on. Not perfect, not sucky.
- Ass Whoopers – tricks that need a lot of spotting or that I’m really struggling with. DON’T put these at the very beginning when you’re not warm enough, or at the very end when you’re too tired. About a third of the way through your lesson is the best time to bust ’em out!
- Back to Medium Skilz – a couple of things I’m doing reasonably well or that I love to do (to make me feel better after the ass-tastic disaster that was Ass Whoopers)
- New and Fabulous – one or two new things/variations on other moves, or a bit of choreography
- Last call – conditioning, last fun move, or a pep talk when I wind up in a puddle on the floor wailing “I’ll neeeeeeeeeeever get it, I suuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Why do I dooooooooooooo this??!!!” This is Chris’s favorite part of class (favorite like a fork in the eye is a favorite).
I’ve certainly done my share of sessions with no planning, but I find I spend an alarming amount of time wracking my brain for what I need to work on, and staring off into space going, “uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm…..” – NOT SEXY. Be sexy – come with a plan! It’s an awesome feeling to leave a private knowing you worked hard, stayed focused, and kicked some serious tushie. Love and pull-ups, Laura
PS – HEY! What do YOU want to hear about? Upcoming topics include training during pregnancy, training around an injury, and how to go pro. What else should we talk about? Lemme hear you!
And now, some footage of me in my beautiful wheel, Johannes. I still suck, but I’m sucking way less, and THAT’S the important thing. 😉
As always, if you like this post, share it on your blog, the F-books, Twitter, and wherever else you crazy kids are sharing things these days.